<quote who="Nicholas Lawrence">

> 1. An Asus board with an onboard Realtek 8139.
> 2. An Aopen board with an onboard Intel 82559.

Onboard? Run away, run away!

I highly recommend having as much off the motherboard as you can - they
always come back to bite later anyway. A network interface is less of a
problem than a sound card or whatever, but it's always good to be able to
pull out a problem. :)

> I noted in my research that the Realtek is not rated very highly
> for performance but appears well-supported.

Excellent summary. :)

> The Intel 82559 is supposed to be very good for both speed and
> support but a few notes in linux-kernel August last year suggested
> problems with 2.4pre recognising onboard variants. There didn't
> seem to be any followup after that.

That's fixed in Donald Becker's drivers that you can find on scyld.com, only
for 2.2 kernels (which you ought to be running on a machine such as this).

We run one of these in our web server -> no problems so far. The big problem
when I installed it was having it on a shared PCI slot. Bad.

> 1. Is anyone having problems with 1 or 2 8139 cards in the same
> machine?

No, they seem to be okay.

> 2. The Intel seems to be a very popular choice - would it be worth
> investing in (I know worth is relative but the difference is 128meg
> of ram <g>).

It sounds like you're overspeccing your firewall... So, probably not worth
it when you can run it acceptably on something (quite a bit) less expensive.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

                    Two words: Japanese technofetishism.