<quote who="Dave Fitch">

> I can set Sender: in .muttrc but that's not how the
> email appears when it comes back and I can't set From (no colon)
> at all (they're the 2 I'm talking about).

You're answering stuff before reading the rest of the email, aren't you? :)

> > Because spiral is not a recognised host, OptusNet (smartly, for once) drop
> > your mail on the floor. You are not yet a real machine with a real name...
>
> yes that's all fine (and I agree it is unusual on optus' part!)

It's *NOT* unusual on Optus' part - perhaps you're used to my common
sarcasm, but this is exactly what Optus *should* be doing. Good on them. Now
they can get their arses into gear with their open relays and ORBS listings.

> > Exactly. The "From (without the colon)" is your envelope address, and must
> > be set accordingly.
>
> exactly, that's the tricky bit!
> (see my original question I asked)

Read emails before replying!

> But you seem to be saying in your last paragraph that I have to
> set it in postfix as well?  but how does postfix know which
> mailbox I'm in?  it doesn't, can I make postfix set a different
> >From depending on the From: header or something? is that what
> you're saying?

No. It won't matter from the isp's point of view, as it only cares about
what's after the @. What's after the @ in the envelope doesn't have to match
the domain in your email address. One setting for postfix, as long as you
set up your transport_maps sanely.

- Jeff

--
                          chown -R us:us yourbase