Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="Felix Sheldon">

There are all sorts of things you're not allowed to do with GPL source.
:-)

I can copy it, compile it, run it, modify it, extend it, combine it with
other code, delete parts of it, write a novel about it, translate it to
some other language, and most importantly, distribute it. What else could
you ask for? 8)

Me, generally nothing, but there are some important distinctions you've left out of your list, ie. "combine it with other code" ... "distribute it". But can you? :-)

"combine it with other code"

Sure! Even the stolen Win2k source if I had it!

"distribute it"

Of course! I am talking about GPL code here.

> "combine it with other code" + "distribute it"

Nothing in the GPL rules it out. Maybe the license on the other code says something about it, but the GPL doesn't.

Felix