On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 21:19, David Guest wrote:

> Thanks Mary. I was just wondering if people like Ken might get an
> income from the closed license stream in much the same way as Sun gets
> from Star Office.

My expectation is never from my code in FOSS to think otherwise is
probably foolish.  We all have the dream of a killer application that
will change the world and make us comfortable.  I realise that I am an
backup type, I will never change the world but I hope to help someone
who will :-)

Regarding money: Indirectly I think that i may get a contract with a
FOSS company or as a direct result of FOSS people I know for closed
source jobs.  I fully expect the FOSS job to come with a pay cut, an
unfortunate reality.  I also know that UTS value my FOSS involvement  (I
teach 1 night per week).

In short I believe that my ability to find the next job has improved
100% as a direct involvement in Linux and Open Source. I will never make
my fortune doing though.

As a side benefit I get to read some really cool documents and know
"stuff" that I would never have learned at work.  I then get questions
on odd ball stuff and I just know the answer.  It really is a great way
to expand your abilities and find out things.  When you work for your
employer you struggle through to a solution under time pressure for
results.

At home for FOSS you can study the right way to do 5 lines of code for
hours.  You can take a journey into the area of building stable ABI code
and understand the issues. You would never learn this through work.
They love you when you explain these things to them when they need it
though :-)

--
Thanks
KenF