On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:49:34AM -0700, pesoy misak wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Well I just got a little story behind this question. I just succeed
> convince my customer that trying to do web design using ASP.net to use
> Linux using PHP yeaaahhh Linux Rulez. now seems I got a bit problem trying
> to convince this administrator to change all the system using linux. he is
> asking about the mail server for replacement for their exchange server
> 2003 that he said is the best (may be true) I just want to debate with
> this guy since I haven't much experience with mail server. he want to know
> the capabilities of each linux mail server and compatibilty and how much
> can the mail server handle like how much email etc, etc and how much size
> that it could handle

The first thing to realise is that most Linux mail servers aren't an
integrated whole -- you build them together from the relevant bits -- pick
an MTA that best suits your needs, bolt an MDA for your desired message
storage format (if it's not supported natively by your MTA), and then put an
IMAP/POP server on for retrieval.

This mix and match approach is useful, because you can (for instance)
support sites with a relatively low rate of incoming mail, but a high rate
of client-side IMAP access by choosing the right tools for the job.

There are a couple of integrated mail systems -- I think cyrus 2 is like
this, and there's XMail and Courier, and a bunch of commercial ones like
Communigate are like them.  I hate the really tightly bound ones, because
they're a big black box -- hmm, like Exchange.

Basically, you can easily build a mail server which will handle several
times the volume of mail that Exchange will for a fraction of the *hardware*
cost, let alone the licencing fees.

On the other hand, there is one thing that Exchange does that nobody else
has managed to provide -- the complete basic "groupware" functionality and
integration with Outlook.  Outlook is (incomprehensibly) popular, and a lot
of companies want/like the integrated shared calendars and address books,
which really nothing else does.

And, when it comes down to it, your average click-monkey can usually fix
what's wrong with an Exchange server by either pointing and clicking (thus
accidentally fixing whatever they accidentally fucked up in the first place)
or by sacrificing a goat and reinstalling at the correct phase of the moon.
No actual thought required in either case, which is an unpleasant side
effect of running a decent mail system (or server in general).

Oops, I think I'm frothing a bit.  Hope I didn't get any on the carpet.

- Matt