most people dont even need all features of exchange. most
people (even just for internal mail) will do quite happily
with nothing more than a pop3 mail server.

even my work, which has pisses hundreds of thousands into
exchange and hardware blah blah blah, could easily just
use pop3 (even with exchange) and an ldap server for
some address booking

Dean