On 7/14/06, Carlo Sogono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I see. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the noob questions, but
how is this exactly different from, say a VMWare Workstation machine
that I can connect to using VNC/SSH or RDP? I'll probably give it a go
on the weekend...

VMware workstation hit v5, and introduced alot of features.
Unforunately these v5 features didnt get put into VMware GSX server
(still based on v4 features, maybe even v3).

VMware server merges what VMware GSX was, into a free product called
VMware Server (with many v5 VMware workstation features).

The management console with VMware server, is the same gui you see
when you load VMware workstation, except the console can
manage/connect to VMware server machines anywhere on your network, and
as such the machines (virtual ones) running on that server can be
driven/managed through this console over tcp/ip.

Nothing stopping you still using vnc/ssh or rdp to manage the virtual
machines, but you dont need too if you want to install the console.

People tend to use both..

I knew the final release was due, as the last beta was down to 4 days
before it expired. So it was either announce final or release another
RC beta.

Even us employees didnt get any internal announcement about the final
release.. although we never usually do when it comes to VMware type
announcements. Shame really as I have been a long time fan of the
products.