"Sridhar Dhanapalan" <srid...@dhanapalan.com> writes:
> 2008/12/17 Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net>:
>> Jake Anderson <ya...@vapourforge.com> writes:
>>>
>>> All worked for me, Somebody released a custom kernel for it,
>>> (basically stripped out loads of hardware drivers) took a good 10-15
>>> seconds off the boot time.
>>
>> Do you have a link to the discussion about that kernel, and which
>> changes were made?
>>
>> I am very curious, because the Ubuntu kernel builds very little in-core,
>> and uses modules for almost all hardware.  It then uses udev, which
>> responds to the actual hardware detected and loads only the drivers that
>> correspond to the hardware *present*.
>>
>> The effect of that, of course, is that there is no cost[1] except for
>> disk space for those additional drivers.
>
> The kernel those Eee PC specific distros use is based at
>
> http://www.array.org/ubuntu/
>
> I don't know it it's any faster, but it certainly supports the
> hardware better. Sleep and resume work correctly, so I never have to
> shut my 901 down.

*nod*  Now, better hardware support or integration — that makes perfect
sense, and is a reasonable cause for a custom kernel.

I was specifically interested in the claim by the OP that the custom
kernel was *faster*, and that this improved boot time, especially by
virtual of removing drivers.

Regards,
        Daniel