<quote who="Daniel Pittman">

> I was specifically interested in the claim by the OP that the custom
> kernel was *faster*, and that this improved boot time, especially by
> virtual of removing drivers.

Intel's five second boot was done on a 901, and changes to the kernel had a
surprising level of impact (they got kernel boot time down to 1s). Arjan
basically removed the need to load modules for anything in the initial boot
process, particularly silly stuff like USB.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2009: Hobart, Tasmania                  http://marchsouth.org/

   He'd never undressed a woman with his eyes. Perhaps army boots, school
                uniform, or a nightie, but never undressed.