Hi David.

As long as the drive in un-mounted you can safely remove/insert a device. You just need to make sure the drive Power connections allow hot-swapping, but generally you will get away with it normally if you haven't such PSU plug h/w. Just be aware that your PSU will require better "surge" power - so if your current PSU is a bit iffy, it will probably fail in time has been my experience.

Hope this helps.
Cheers. Grahame

From: david <da...@kenpro.com.au>
Date: 15 May 2009 11:58:14 PM
To: slug@slug.org.au
Subject: [SLUG] hot swapping hard drives

I've just installed a sata hard drive bay for a second drive, the kind that has a little front door so you can slip the drive in and out.

The point of installing it was to make it easy to change drives when doing backups, but I had assumed that I would have to shut down before taking the drive in or out.

When I unmount it, Gnome announces that I can now remove the media, which surprised me a bit. Should I assume that this means I can safely hot swap this drive as long as it's unmounted? The nice man in the shop assured me that I needed all sorts of mobo magic to be able to do that, but of course he was talking Windows. I would hate to splat 500G of backup.

Thanks,