Adrian Chadd <adr...@creative.net.au> writes:

> Uhm, I'm reasonably sure there's more to hot swap than the physical
> and electrical connections.

*nod*  You are quite correct here.

[...]

> There also may be a requirement for you to manually tell the OS
> to "detach" and "attach" disk devices.

This is no longer true: while you risk data corruption if there are
unwritten pages, it is "safe" to pull a SATA disk at any time on a
hotplug supporting controller.

In normal operation this makes no difference; when one of the disks in
your RAID array starts to fail and become unresponsive then knowing that
you can pull it without warning can save you (literally, in some cases)
hours of waiting for it to not-ever-get-through the sync process.

Regards,
        Daniel