On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:

> >> That should have the filesystem flush data, but doesn't actually push
> >> out dirty pages for the device — if you accessed it raw at any point
> >> this will not be sufficient.
> >>
> >> (Also, lower layers such as LVM, software RAID, etc, might not flush
> >>  their data during the unmount process.)

> >> That will flush raw blocks from the device also.

> >> Those are necessary, but not sufficient, steps, I fear.
> >
> > so if our raw partitions are up-to-date and the file systems are also,
> > thanks to the 'sync' and 'umount' commands done before device removal,
> > what else are you implying would be necessary before the drive is
> > safely pulled?
>
> Didn't I already answer this in the text you cut?
>
> Your controller needs to support SATA hotplug sanely.  Your controller
> needs to report the event to the driver.  The driver needs to handle the
> event sanely.

o sorry :(  I had taken all that on board and I had just read it as though
you were alluding to more things being necessary even again, that's all.. in
fact it's precisely because I thought you'd had it all pretty well covered
that I was confused by that line..

anyway, classically wrong reading of language in an email, who would ever
have thought ;)