Hi Adrian, David & Slug list.

Of the seven systems I look after, three have hot-swapping HDA's via a RAID5/6 drive enclosures, two systems have add-on SATAII caddies for hot-swap and the others are without hot-swapping. If your interested, and to reset your angst a little, I have been in the computing/engineering industry for 25++ years.

On the software level the OS only has to ensure that all dirty (written too) memory pages are written out to the drives and such buffering flushed, drive index tables updated and written ALL before the drive is removed. The CLI command "umount" does this within the Linux / Unix OS. The "sync" command/programming API call is another way to do this programmatically. That is all that is required.

On the hardware side, the PSU socket must ensure that power is presented to the drive before logic is connected (ground first). This is why the +12v, +5v and GND pins are usually extended about 8mm before the rest of the pins are connected. On the logic side, logic ground is the mandatory the first pin-out that is connected, together with any design "reset" or "set" pins. Additionally, the ability of the PSU to cope with demanding surges especially on +12v, +5V lines is very important, as the switching regulator may be upset by such demands. Most people wouldn't know this - that is why I mention it.

Of course, by all means - investigate and be satisfied your got all the facts, its your system that will have to "cope" with any hot- swapping PSU and logic levels.

Cheers. Grahame