Luke Yelavich <them...@themuso.com> writes:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:58:14PM EST, david wrote:
>
>> I've just installed a sata hard drive bay for a second drive, the
>> kind that has a little front door so you can slip the drive in and
>> out.
>>
>> The point of installing it was to make it easy to change drives when
>> doing backups, but I had assumed that I would have to shut down
>> before taking the drive in or out.
>>
>> When I unmount it, Gnome announces that I can now remove the media,
>> which surprised me a bit.

It probably shouldn't.  Hot-swap is a standard SATA feature.

>> Should I assume that this means I can safely hot swap this drive as
>> long as it's unmounted?

Almost certainly.

>> The nice man in the shop assured me that I needed all sorts of mobo
>> magic to be able to do that, but of course he was talking Windows.

No, he was right: you do have to have a suitable "motherboard" (really,
SATA controller in the chipset), as well as a suitable driver, and a
suitable SATA enclosure.

It sounds like you have the last, most modern SATA controllers are
suitable for the first ... and the driver, well, are reasonable.

>> I would hate to splat 500G of backup.
>
> As far as I am aware, new SATA standards, such as AHCI, allow the hot
> plugging of drives/cables, in fact without AHCI, machines wouldn't be
> able to offer E-Sata ports.

That isn't quite right.  AHCI had /driver/ support, and exposed enough
hotplug information to the driver, that Linux got support for it early.

Other hardware might be supported; see here:
http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

If you do have an AHCI controller then, yes, it should be hotplug
suitable and just work(tm).

Meanwhile, eSATA is just a wiring standard on top of stock SATA, more or
less, so it doesn't have much to do with AHCI, or vice-versa.

[...]

> I am no expert on this stuff, but this is from what I've read and done
> with my own drives via E-Sata ports.

You were more or less on target. :)

Regards,
        Daniel