I needed to do some file sharing recently and now that the task is
finished so I want to remove the Samba service. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.

in Synaptic > search: samba

shows that the following items are installed;

   samba
   samba-common
   samba-common-bin
   smbclient
   libpam-smbpass
   libsmbclient
   libwbclient0
   nautilus-share
   python-smbc

When I mark "samba" for removal no other files on this list are
marked. So is just marking "samba" for removal sufficient to stop this
service from starting at boot... and I don't want to keep files that
only rely on samba alone as they'll be superfluous.

But when I select "samba-common" to be removed, Synaptic notifies me
of a list of other files that it will also remove with "samba-common"
- one of them being "ubuntu-desktop".

I'm not so sure that I want ubuntu-desktop removed!

advice/suggestions/help are welcome :)
thanks...

Meryl