If baffles me as to why it's so difficult to stop a service on boot in ubuntu but read this post:

I also don't see why it's been made hard to pull samba out, maybe someone more ubuntu friendly can explain how to remove the program it's self but for now if the service is off it shouldn't bother you.

You could also just try removing entries in /etc/samba/smb.conf if u can't stop the service