On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 08:11 +1100, meryl wrote:
> I needed to do some file sharing recently and now that the task is
> finished so I want to remove the Samba service. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.
> When I mark "samba" for removal no other files on this list are
> marked. So is just marking "samba" for removal sufficient to stop this
> service from starting at boot... and I don't want to keep files that
> only rely on samba alone as they'll be superfluous.

At the command line:
        sudo apt-get autoremove

The clean up 'mostly' just works but sometimes dependent libraries will
be left lying around.

Also in synaptic, check for a section 'Not Installed (residual config).
If you want you can flag these for complete removal, cleaning up more
package information.

> But when I select "samba-common" to be removed, Synaptic notifies me
> of a list of other files that it will also remove with "samba-common"
> - one of them being "ubuntu-desktop".

ubuntu provides a method for connecting to Windows shares as a client,
this is part of desktop.  I would not recommend removing it because
upgrades become harder.

Ta
Ken