Am Dienstag, den 03.03.2009, 00:53 +0100 schrieb Nils Faerber:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schrieb:
> >> OK, I can confirm now that the VT switch disappears with the kernel
> >> config change I posted earlier.
> >> Though of course this also eliminates the kernel startup messages on the
> >> screen. But well, they are flying by that fast that I doubt anyone is
> >> really able to read them. Suspend/resume is much faster now.
> > That sounds pretty cool, although it means we also have to give up on
> > the VT consoles at all, which is not quite what I had in mind.
> >
> > Can't we just have the VT consoles without the switching on
> > suspend/resume?
>
> The VT terminals are still there, just not the console.

Sure, but I really mean the console. I have systems with hardware
keyboards where the VT console with a login prompt comes in handy.

> Of course we could also introduce a new kernel config option for just
> disabling the console suspend but that would mean a real kernel patch.

Don't be shy ;)

> As you like, I can surely also create such a new kernel config option -
> should be pretty easy but brings the kernel a bit more away from mainline.

I don't think that's a problem. First, I think it's a patch that would
be welcome upstream, since all Linux-based polished devices have to
worry about that. Second, have a look how many custom patches we carry
in andy-tracking... one more won't hurt ;)

> BTW: Could you briefly explain the battery class problem? Probably I can
> fix that too...

mwester did a power class supply driver for the GTA01's dumb batteries
once -- I'm not sure whether this needs adjusting for 2.6.28.

To make it more complicated, GTA02 can work with both the new ones (for
which we have a power class supply driver), but also with the old ones.
Since GTA02 has a different PMU, we need a completely different driver
for GTA01's dumb batteries in GTA02.

I don't know whether mike is still interested in working on that.

--
:M: