I find euthanasia disturbing...period. Even more so, when it's cases like this where the experts "appear" to disagree.....

Euthanasia and abortion go hand in hand.....I think anytime humans try to "play God" we're getting on very dangerous moral ground. Granted emotions cloud the issue......understandably so....but IMO both are very dangerous paths for us as a nation to take....

Not wanting any heroic mesaures is one thing, actively trying to starve someone to death or something is awhole nother story.....  terminal or not. If their terminal, they'll die when it's their time...if they don't, God has a reason. I can't help but think of all the cases of folks who woke up years, and years after doctors said they would be a vegatible for the rest of their lives. Thank God in those cases someone didn't decide it was more merciful to kill them. Some of the same arguements against abortion, fit euthanasia to a t....

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:37 PM
Subject: RE: [Sndbox] Feeding Tube Removed

Some of the items in this article have been flatly called untrue by his attorneys, some of it (such as him receiving the medical trust) is not legal in FL.  So you see part of the problem, both sides have an axe to grind and the poor woman is caught right in the middle.

I doubt very seriously after 13 years there is a single penny of the medical money left, insurance quite assuredly ran out a long time ago.

Further inconsistencies...Michael Schiavo has confined Terri to a nursing home (currently, Terri is in a Hospice facility) where she is 'maintained.'

He did this all on his own?  Without a doctor's order or supervision?  What about all of the doctors she has had?  Are they *all* forgetting their Hippocratic oath to collude with the husband to get her money?

Then you have a parade of doctors that have studied the case and testified under oath in several FL courts.  Are all of these doctors risking perjury to help him kill his wife?

I still don't like the idea of them removing the feeding tube, and if the courts had ruled against him on *medical reasons alone* I would not mind one bit.  However, it weakens the next of kin laws which are there for some very good reasons.

Are all the courts hoodwinked as well?  If they are this Michael guy must be one good salesman.  FL's law says the next of kin is the spouse.  Feeding tubes are legally considered "heroic measures" *ONLY* in  a terminal case.  What that means is if the physicians didn't consider her terminal then the feeding tube would not be considered life support.

I'm not saying he's the good guy in this, but I am saying that the article here plays a little fast and loose with the facts.

Charles Mims