You don't seem to be taking into account that maybe they were watching and the kid snuck off......the fact is, none of us really know because the article didn't say.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Sndbox] FL. Boy fined on bike

In a message dated 11/6/2003 2:41:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

And our point is that if the child is doing something you know to be dangerous punishment will teach him not to do that anymore.  If he's jumping a dirt hill that is right next to a busy road, then that is inherently more dangerous than doing the same thing in a vacant lot.  So sometimes even if it is an accident some sort of consequences are necessary.

Going back to the broken window...I *accidentally* broke a window.  I was punished for that.  It was right for me to be punished for that because I was doing something I shouldn't be doing.

To be sure the punishment must fit the offense, but to say in a blanket fashion that no punishment is necessary when something is an accident doesn't make a lick of sense in my opinion.  Even accidents carry consequences.

and my point is this wasnt a teenager this was a second grader. the parents knew where he was and what he was doing  if they didnt then i dont think much of em leaving a child that young unsupervised by a busy road. either way its not the childs fault that he was playing and accidentily landed in the road.