On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, David A. Enete wrote:

> Packet radio perhaps?
>
> Or, true digital radios with a signature at some point (just hope you
> don't need fast input after an unqualified signal).

802.11 (usually known as AirPort) give 11 megabit/sec (about 100k).  I
have one in the laptop I'm using now.  The card itself is a PCMCIA and
weighs, oh, less than half an ounce.  And it speaks TCP/IP.  If we had
real packets, we could send/receive anything to and from the ship with
redundancy, frequency wouldn't especially matter, you could
encrypt/decrypt your signal, and you could have a web server that sent out
a webpage that told altitude, attitude, whatever (not that a web page
would be a good idea; something streaming would be way better).

And I bet it could be done for the same prace as radios now.  The card in
my computer cost $90.  If it was integrated into a whole radio, eh, maybe
it would cost a little more.  But you could use an embedded chip onboard
to decrypt and parse and talk to the servos.

But we don't do this because it's not where we're coming from.  We're
coming from free flight.  We want to control our models, so we attach
lines, then radios.  Then we want to mix the radio signal.

It's an evolutionary process, but every so often a revolution's a good
idea.

Naturally, though, *I* can't design this.  So I have to wait.  And so do
most of us.  So I'm willing to put up with "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it" since I can't really help the situation anyway.

-J