Hey Jim, I am very pleased with my JR 9303 on ham band.  Note also that
all the receivers except PCM stuff use the same shift so will work well
with each other.  I am currently running JR, Futaba and FMA receivers
with the same JR transmitter.  On the other hand, there is no way to
change a 72 MHz Rx to the ham band.  Same with the TX but that is easy
since you just plug in a new module.

Buy the ARRL book and you can get your tech license with moderate effort.
 Good luck Jim MacLean