On 2008/02/21 14:47, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:30:30PM +0000, Adam Retter wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > On 2008/02/20 23:08, Adam Retter wrote:
> > >  > The console output over COM0 from the net4801 is below, but basically
> > >  > I have no idea what "Unknown error: code 60" (from pxeboot?) means?
> > >
> > >  60 is ETIMEDOUT, according to OpenBSD's intro(2). iirc the normal OS
> > >  error codes are used in the boot loader. are you aware of any network
> > >  problems, bad cables or duplex mismatch maybe?
> >
> > Erm nope im not aware of any problems, the cables are all new and work
> > for network traffic otherwise. The net4801 is connected to a Netgear
> > 8-port 10/100/1000Mbit switch and the FreeBSD machine is also
> > connected to the switch. Using the same physical setup with its
> > current OpenBSD 3.7 operating system, I am able to SSH into the
> > net4801 and browse the web etc (its used as a F/W and Router).
> >
> > Hmm, anything I can do to find out why its timing out?
>
> You already tftp'ed the loader and just NFS is failing, so you have to
> search for NFS related problems.

OpenBSD pxeboot doesn't do NFS, only tftp. It's easily-configured
and normally very effective.

switching console to com0
>> OpenBSD/i386 PXEBOOT 2.02
booting tftp:bsd.rd: |
booting tftp:bsd.rd: 4733076read text: Unknown error: code 60
 failed(60). will try /bsd

...it has loaded most of the file, but fails somewhere near the end.

Adam can you successfully get this file using tftp(1) on another
machine?

Just to double-check, did you note what I said about duplex settings?
(No offense meant if you did). If the switch and the installed OS are
forced to full-duplex, things would work OK for the installed OS,
but you might expect to have some problems if pxeboot auto-detects
the duplex setting but the switch is forced.

For the upgrade you could just skip pxebooting and copy bsd.rd into
/ on the running system, then choose it at the boot loader, but it's
strange that it should be failing like this. It should just work.
I haven't tried with FreeBSD as a tftp server but PXE is my normal
way to install OpenBSD, even on normal PCs, and I've not seen this
happen before (between temporary installations for testing, permanent
installations, and upgrades, I've done this quite often).