I finally have the necessary cables and am able to access the comBIOS via a
USB->Serial->Null-Mode->Female-Gender-Changer adapter chain.

Is there anything special that I need to do in the bios, or to the OS
installed on the cf card for it to boot? I setup Crux on a MicroSD card (via
a MicroSD->SD->CF->IDE adapter chain) and it runs fine and boots on a dell
optiplex desktop.

When I insert the card in the soekris CF slot and turn it on, the comBIOS
does not recognize any bootable device. I tried setting the "partition"
value to 1 via the set command and it made no difference.

Any thoughts? Could it be a compatibility issue with the microsd card? (Its
a 2gb kingston). I have not tried a CF card yet but will run out and buy one
if I need to. Although I want to get it running on the microsd card if at
all possible.

On a second note, I dont see any way to "hard reset" the bios settings that
are changed via the set command. What recovery options are available if one
sets an incorrect option in the combios and disables serial output (or
something similar) making it impossible to manage the device? There is no
removable battery and no reset jumper I can find.

Thanks,
Tom