Hi,

> > On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 21:58 -0800, TechKid PC wrote:
> >> I finally have the necessary cables and am able to access the comBIOS via
> >> USB->Serial->Null-Mode->Female-Gender-Changer adapter chain.

[...]

Some experimenting raises second thoughts on the "messed up comBIOS" issue.

> [Bill wrote back:]
> To answer your question properly: no, there doesn't seem to be a way to
> reset the comBIOS to factory defaults on a Soekris box. It wouldn't help
> much in the case of a "wrong" baud rate setting either, because the baud
> rate would still be a valid one (or else it would be rejected on the
> first place, I assume)

Confirmed for baud rates like 300 and 1200. Not for 115200 however. In fact the
net5501 supports that speed:

set ConSpeed=115200
show ConSpeed
 = 115200

Result:

r...@hibernia:~# cu -l /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 115200
Connected.

POST: 012345689bcefghips1234ajklnopqr,,,tvwxy

Providing support for an undocumented serial transfer rate (or not documenting a
supported rate - I looked into both the manual and the changelog, but I couldn't
find it mentioned anywhere) is surely an effective way to confuse users.

> and the problem could therefore be delegated to
> the terminal configuration. I don't see how one could mess up the
> comBIOS settings in such a way that it would no longer be accessible.

Except if the box can go into a supported "invalid" baud rate. Hard to imagine
how
this could happen involuntarily, possibly through thoughtless automatism.

Maybe a fine excuse to finally update/create the net5501 doc.

By the way, assuming that the UART supports 8 speeds (probably), if 6 speeds are
this one is also supported, which is the 8th one?

I hope I'm not missing something fundamental here..

Bill