Thanks for your suggestion but I see this as a last resort. I want to
have an all-in-one system to which I hook up my usb-dac. I would like it
to be sort-off portable without too much fuss and wires. Secondary to
this, I'm afraid the error checking is less reliable over tcp/ip
compared to sata. I haven't extensively checked out this last point so I
not sure whether this fear is correct and if so, to what extent this
might affect the quality of the stream. However, considering my first
point I first want to see whether my original plan is feasible.

According to the Soekris wiki the WDC WD1000FYPS 1000GB should work.
However, I've already got the Samsung HD204UI drive, so I would prefer
not to have to buy a new drive ... Luckily I have gained some searching
skills in the last couple of minutes and I have some data on the power
consumption. Compared to the WDC drive, the Samsung consumes during
read/write 1W less and during idle 1W more. In theory I guess it should
work out fine, though experience tell manufactures can be quite creative
with numbers.

Kind regards, Maarten