Samsung is in selling this business line to seagate. there won't be any samsung
disks here shortly.

Given that maximum inrush current at start is still in the neighborhood of 1.5A
@ 12 volt I'd say it's a risky proposition.

2.5" drives go out to 1TB these days without much drama, the 3 platter ones are
still too tall to mount in a soekris disk bracket on top of the mainboard.