If you can you should look into using a photogrammetric approach for lighting,
meaning that instead of mapping your hdri to sphere you can build a proxy
version of the set (geometry) using photogrammetry or an automated modeling
program like 123catch to generate the geo (which you can clean therefor),
then you can project your hdri (images) to the geometry it will be more precise
than a spherical setup, but it is also longer to set up! And depends on the
information and images you ve got from the set.

Here is a video I saw some time ago, really cool stuff: (video is using maya
and mari btw)

its a 3 part video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8ypguQjFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdEyQGzRSaQ