Hi Paul,

i didn't took the time to read all the thread so you may get duplicated
offerings..

For me, i got 4 different chrome balls scales … 3 inches, 6 inches, 9 inches
and 12 inches.. (garden decorations) … that do all we need for us.

Got my DSLR on one tripod and my chrome ball on another one. I even use my
finder ring if i need to place it on a table or on the ground.  Important thing
is to have something that will allow you to solidify your chrome ball on the
tripod. Like a screw or something. Because sometimes it gets windy and you
don't want your ball to fall on the concrete…  Or some blue gum paste to stick
it…

I normally shoot 12-15 exposures with 1-3 stops diffenrencial depending on my
ISO setting.. From total black to total white. Of course proper white balance
is better but you know you'll be grading them to match the grading of the
actual material… so ..

I now simply use photoshop with the new HDR merge tool .. Works pretty dam
good.

What is fun onset is how much we draw attention with our alien's setup … but we
must get fast. I always ask the first AD 5 mins after shots are done without
any lighting setup change. And i also ask them that the crew get out while i am
shooting. Wich they normally understand pretty well.  You let the creative go
on the next location, and have the gaffers, electros, etc just waiting in the
back!..

You must have a shutter remote so that you don't move the camera while pressing
the shutter release. So you setup your focus, and without auto focus on…. you
stand there clicking, changing f-stops, clicking, changing f-stop, etc…  until
you have all your LDR images captured.

i also like to take a bad ass panorama just to see the set. I often do this
with my mobile phone panorama application while they are shooting principal
photography.   Very usefull ….

Always make yourself a good friend of the Director, First Assistant Director
and DP …. they will let you do your stuff without hiccups then!

hope it helps!

sly

Sylvain Lebeau // SHED
V-P/Visual effects supervisor
1410, RUE STANLEY, 11E ÉTAGE MONTRÉAL (QUÉBEC) H3A 1P8
T 514 849-1555 F 514 849-5025 WWW.SHEDMTL.COM <http://WWW.SHEDMTL.COM>