if you have a canon camera, a free solution would be magic lantern
firmware... http://www.magiclantern.fm/

i believe you can do 9 steps (might be able to ask them about doing more)
with various shooting patterns... you can even do a align+enfuse preview on
the camera. to avoid bumping the camera too much, you can use a simple IR
remote to start the sequence. so, rotate your pano head, take your hands
off the camera, trigger the remote (use the 2 second delay so you can get
out the way), the sequence starts and finishes, rinse and repeat.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#hdr_bracketing