Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com <http://www.janimation.com>
On 3/14/2013 1:58 PM, Matt Lind wrote:

WTF? (part 2)

I would definitely NOT want to stay on 2010. Way too many blocking issues and bugs. We just upgraded to 2013 SP1 from Softimage 7.5 as it was the first version since 7.5 which gave us the bare minimum feature set that didn't have major issues -- and even then I had to write a lot of custom code to work around known issues. I'm still looking at newer releases as they come down the pipe as there are some pretty serious issues in 2013 SP1 that we cannot live with for long. Hoping 2014 resolves them.

People are already complaining about lack of development of SI. Customer base is what determines how many resources AD puts into the product. If fewer customers pay for support, how much developer time do you think is going to be put into the product? In other words, by not paying you are effectively killing the product. Sure, 3^rd parties can supply some fancy plugins, but that will only continue as long as there are paying customers to support the product, and the 3^rd parties ability to support the product is dependent on their ability to get access to the necessary components to write their tools. If AD doesn't develop the core, the 3^rd parties cannot do their work. One hand feeds the other.

Let's think rationally for a change.

*From:*softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] *On Behalf Of *Mirko Jankovic
*Sent:* Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:35 AM
*To:* softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
*Subject:* Re: 2014 New feature list... minor corrections list... you decide

I'm sure that if other companies see what AD have prepared for lunch in the next month or so, they (other companies) will rush in and implement same or better in a month or two!!!

I mean cmon who are we kidding :)

And on it is true that 3rd party people brought more improvement's to SI in the last coupl eyears than AD did.. so then just simple solution: stop paying subs price to AD and start paying guys that actually do improve Softimage :)

I bet that a lot of people would rather still stay on SI 2010 for example with fresh income of upgrades from Exocortex and rest of the crew. Mentioning Exocortex too much but it would huge list to go over everyone we all know who are they and we are all thankful for keeping SI great... without them lets admit SI would be a lot lesser than it is now....