Hey Ben,

the farther offset the null is off center to the center of the camera view
the more "off" the DOF would be because the DOF effect is sets in respect
to the viewplane of the camera and it would take some Pythagorean theorem
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotenuse) to get the desired major cathetus,
which is the Distance between Camera Center and a "Plane" from the shorter
cathetus.

To avoid that, it´s easier to constraint the camera to "look at" the null,
then the hypothenuse "snaps back into" the longer cathetus and there is
no offset anymore to worry about.

Cheers,

tim