We haven’t switched to 2014 yet, but in testing we’ve encountered a number of
regressions in important areas to us.  Let me emphasize what is important to us
might not be important to you.

In our case the problem has been the ability to upgrade and migrate old data
into a current release and have it continue to function as expected – e.g. be
durable.  For example, we use realtime shaders very heavily in our
production…in fact every single asset in our production uses them.  But there’s
always some type of bug/regression in each new release with realtime shading
preventing an upgrade.  We were stuck on 7.5 for years until 2013 SP1 finally
resolved the shading issues.  However, upon testing everything else we
discovered many animation features regressed such as ability to import FCurve
data efficiently, rotation order not computed properly on transforms, scene
doesn’t update/refresh properly, cut n’ paste FCurve keys fails, envelopes get
really cranky/crash when a deformer is not found, callbacks/events
intermittently fail or don’t execute, scene layers misbehave, etc…  It’s been
whack-a-mole.  Many bugs we’ve found in 2013 are still present in 2014.
Problem is we cannot consistently reproduce some of these bugs as the variables
leading to their appearance can be complex much like needing the stars to align
a certain way before the issue is revealed.  We just don’t have a complete
picture of all the stars involved in the problem yet to be able to submit a
report for further investigation.  It’s a real stressing point in our
production.

In regards to 2014, the realtime shading architecture migration from RTS 3 to
RTS 4 doesn’t work, or there is no migration path.  Since RTS 3 is technically
deprecated (but still supported) that is a problem for us.  If a shader is not
installed, Softimage won’t open the scene/.emdl.  In fact, Softimage will crash
in spectacular fashion.  If you don’t use realtime shaders, then this won’t be
an issue for you.

If I had to summarize the main issues, it seems like many features in recent
releases touched on core components and were either inserted in rush fashion or
sloppily implemented leading to stupid bugs and regressions.  These largely
revolve around system updates and notifications on the backend.  For the other
stuff where it’s more data centric, the data gets into scene files and becomes
a problem when the data is migrated forward to a newer release and needs to be
iterated by an artist.  Problem is the data no longer behaves the same.  We’ve
had a few models created in 7.5 that when brought into current versions don’t
react the same way.  Either data in the delta is getting interpreted
differently, or in some cases, the file just won’t load.  Envelopes are a
victim of this specific problem.

I could go on, but the moral of the story is to test thoroughly before
upgrading.  Of course, that lesson applies to every product.

Matt