So Alembic has two deal breaking aspects from my pov.

1: It applies operators to everryyythinggg. I hate this about Alembic

2: It's not free. Yes the spec is free to make plugins and whatnot, but
this would firmly put this tool out of reach for a *lot *of studios. Not to
mention it's much more complicated to whip up an exporter for some random
app using Alembic.

3: My main reason is that using python makes it really simple to add into
the pipeline in nice flexible way.

--
-Gene
www.genecrucean.com