Or Clarisse?
They currently have a special summer sale atm ($1500.- instead of $7400.- for 1 license and 5 render nodes, incl. support).

Likewise, anybody used Katana?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Sebastian Kowalski <l...@sekow.com> wrote:
do I hear fabric engine?

Am 31.07.2013 um 00:36 schrieb Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com>:

I would question whether a one-size fits all application is relevant anymore.

The current 3 applications were designed and developed in the 1990s, but the industry has evolved quite a bit since then.  Even Softimage’s ‘Sumatra’ propaganda advertised it as a product for ‘the next ten years’.  We’re well beyond that now.  Mobile, 3d printing, interactive spaces, etc.. have all emerged and need 3d content.  While Autodesk’s big 3 can be used, they aren’t necessarily tailored for those markets.  The big 3 are strongly rooted in film/video and some games.  What’s needed to today is a collective rethink.

I think what’s needed today is a host application to act as a point of assembly and layout.  It performs the basic tasks of scene construction and metadata packaging, but from that point on acts as a hub for other applications whether they be commercial or privately developed.  While smaller studios and one-man efforts would probably prefer an integrated solution like they are available today, as data scales up it will be difficult to continue that paradigm and still be competitive over the long term.

Is Autodesk up to the task?  It’ll probably be years before we know the answer.

Matt