From: Andy Jones [andy.jo...@gmail.com]
Sent: 08 September 2013 10:15 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Would you like to recover your scene?

I'd love an ascii scene file format as much as the next guy, but
people still lose plenty of unsaved changes with Maya ascii.  Aside
from general hackability, the big advantage of .ma is being able to
fix broken scenes after they've been saved.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Toonafish <ron...@toonafish.nl> wrote:
> Word !  That would save sooo many lives.
>

> - Ronald
>

> On 9/7/2013 18:23, Octavian Ureche wrote:
>
> Native ascii scene file format. Period.
> Though we've been asking for it forever now.
>
> -Octav
>

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Matt Lind <ml...@carbinestudios.com> wrote:
>>
>> My only beef with your plugin is it cannot account for commands which do
>> not log.  There’s a good probability the scene your plugin generates is not
>> an accurate representation of what last state of the scene actually was
>> before it crashed.  Animation edits, for example, do not log at all.  Custom
>> tools flagged to not log, or tools called from self installing commands do
>> not log either.
>>

>> Back in good ol’ days of XSI v6.x when we were treading water to get
>> anything to function in XSI without exploding, I desperately tried to
>> salvage crashed scenes using a similar technique, but because many commands
>> were not logged it was not possible to salvage work or even rebuild it
>> enough to send to Softimage to diagnose the cause of the crash to get it
>> fixed.  Critical missing steps caused the rebuild script to error out, or if
>> it was lucky enough to get to the end without error, the end result was not
>> at all like what it should’ve been.
>>

>> Matt

=
style="width:100%;">
size="1" color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is
intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in