Thank you for the links, I think these contain what I need.

What would be the standard way for controlling operators? I'm not trying to
do anything special, really just looking for the most straightforward way
to:
1) Add a bevel operator
2) Allow the user to change settings of the bevel operator
3) Freeze the object
4) Perform additional modeling operations

Step 2) is the only part where I need interactive user input. Once the user
is happy and clicks OK, steps 3) and 4) must be automatically performed by
the script.