8.1 is a considerable improvement over 8 in terms of usability actually.
It's not without some nagging things, but at this point most are a matter
of preference, and very few are objectively steps back.

Performance wise I don't think it can be argued it's overall better on many
fronts, even if some times by small margins, than 7.

You do have to get used to it, and it does feel like a condescending OS if
that makes any sense, but at least it's not as downright insulting or
infuriating like OS-X can be in its apply stubbornness when you're not a
fanboy and bump into the occasional thing that makes no sense but Apple
decides to ram down your throat because they know better, and to hell with
what the user base thinks.

It's still behind in some regards, especially on the photography and
imaging front, but then so is win7, so if the toss up is between 7 and 8.1
I'd say 8.1 does come out on top.

All in all I'd say if you want to give 8 a try you have to try 8.1 and
forget about 8, and if you tried 8 and moved away from it for the usability
issues and excessive tabletization then give 8.1 a try again and see if it
changes your mind. It is a step up from 7 in enough regards.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!