The are more options in 8.1 to get rid of the charms and stuf. You can for
example dissable the charms from popping out in the top-right corner,
leaving only the bottom-right corner for the charms, and not both. Abbility
to boot directly to desktop is also new in 8.1 and nice to have on a
workstation.
All these new settings and more is found by right clicking the taskbar and
choose Properties -> Navigation tab.

/Jens

--
Jens Lindgren