Just because the dev is stopping doesn't mean Softimage stops working. I
will continue to use it for several years and under that time a lot can
change on the market. Who knows how Maya, Houdini and Modo looks like in
2-3 years.
In other words I think it is still too early to make such a decision.
I can see the problem for schools teaching Softimage at the moment. They
are the only ones that need to make a quick decision.
And I really hope that Mootz, Solid Angle, Exocortex, etc. wont stop
developing right away. I will probably start publishing some of my internal
tools just to keep the community going.

/Jens

--
Jens Lindgren