That's precisely what I intend to do. Mix Houdini with Modo for modeling
and throw Fabric Splice on top, and I think you've got a pretty solid
replacement for Soft. Of course I say all this without every having tried
Houdini or Modo myself because I had had no need.

If Autodesk kills Soft, I just hope that many, many users and studios
switch to non-Autodesk software. Unfortunately, I believe that most will
(have to) switch to Maya, which seems to be Autodesk's plan. This whole
thing almost makes me angry. I see images of Charlton Heston in the sand,
staring in disbelief at the statue of liberty. What have you done, Autodesk?