Now I see the point. I have those problems with my scripts. You can already
put text over your icons but 4 letters aren't enough for some cases so I
guess it should be easily fixed by adding a width option to the shelves
icons, and a 2 lines text option.

Months later after a non-Maya project, and I can't remember what were those
3 or 4 letter icons on my shelf :D

Martin