Harder than that, the equivalent would be to select all components, move
and rotate them numerically, then figure out the reciprocal transform of
what you just did and apply it to the object's transform.

Center mode is also not equivalent or obsoleted by neutral poses, nor it's
equated by Maya's pivot control.

It's sorely missed by many in Maya.
On top of that, Maya snapping facilities, particularly when it comes to
rotations, are wonky and often don't work at all.

The modelling toolset, several interaction modes with the pivot, and many
other things don't support snapping, and most certainly don't support
matching transforms.
Adding insult to injury, matching or resetting transforms in Maya is highly
deficient out of the box, as it will often work on the whole hierarchy
regardless of what you intended to do.

Lastly, center mode worked seamlessly with all manipulation tools, you
could switch to center mode and have child compensation on and snap/match
to another object.
This offers unequalled control over geometry handling in relation to its
center.

In Maya I've always found pivots superior to neutral pose for a long list
of reasons, at least functionally, though the manipulation itself is weak
(again, Maya is generally weak and fragmented in dealing with rotations).
Maya's handling of reciprocating transforms between transform proper and
geometry though leaves A LOT to be desired, and a page or two from XSI's
book should be taken.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!