On 02/04/14 17:25, Luc-Eric Rousseau wrote:
Is that always true in your scenarios? Moving center in Softimage is like moving all the points of the geometry. (What brent calls "transforming the geometry") Knowing that it does that, wouldn't the simplest work-around for your specific scenario in Maya be to select all points and move/rotate them.

Whenever I need to relocate a pivot temporarily for whatever reason I usually snap a mesh to R/T 0/0/0 world space, leave the offset of the mesh in place (aka don't freeze S/R/T), then move/rotate the pivot to some other position, do whatever I need to - when i'm done I reposition the pivot to R/T 0/0/0 world again and roll everything else back - Tadaa.. \o/ It's just a few clicks AND is completely nondestructive, too ...without ever even touching the operator stack...

also i use tiny polygons outside of (mostly character-) meshes regularly to simulate whatever COG of an object i might need... sometimes using this trick to storing several COG's outside the geometry (as in: another object), quickly deleting and merging them back into the mesh as needed...

location location location :)

Cheers!
Chris