Hi Luc-Eric:

A simple problem I had with the lack of a center/offset rotation pivot attribute in Maya was when I was rigging this guy:

http://1drv.ms/1lndvDS

His eyelids are using a combination of weighted joints to control major movement and clusters, to control the side-to-side. For the clusters, however, I needed their centers to match the rotation of the eyelid bones exactly so that I could use set driven keys to connect the control curves to their movement. I ended up having to make a quick hack script that would makea temporary orientConstraint, grab the offset values, then delete the constraint and piping those values into the rotateAxis of the clusters instead to bring them back into original position.

There is probably a better way to do this and avoid having to work around like this (I was originally going to do bones all over the eyelids but it would have been a nightmare setting SDKs for that), but with the time limit, it was all I had and what I could do. A secondary transform attribute that was common to all transform nodes would go a long way towards helping XSI > Maya transitions, I think, especially when you need like exact pivot matches instead of rotating things around manually to kind of estimate it. :P Plus then you wouldn't have to worry about geometry VS clusters VS whatever node it is, as long as it has a transform, you know you're safe since you have access to a second pivot instead of having to create an intermediate null object for that purpose (and in any case that doesn't work as well for relative-deforming clusters)

Hope that makes sense!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang