On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Patrick Neese <patrickne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reseller I talked with said I have unlimited render nodes for Max
> and Backburner for Mental Ray and to just use that.  I don't know what
> shaders can/can't be used for the renders this way from softimage.
> I'm still green with all of this...but at this point at least I don't
> have to buy more from Autodesk.

I don't think that this is true, that you can render mi2 files with
3dsmax/backburner with your suite standalone license.

In any case, with your softimage standalone license you have the
ability to run 4 satellite render nodes for free, so you should try
that first, see if it helps.

Since you're a hobbyist, I think you should also ask yourself what
makes your life difficult with rendering what's best to fix it.
Adding more MR render nodes for overnight rendering may not fix the
problem,  perhaps you should go with a modern GPU renderer or
something else.