Does it internally reinterpret duplicates (or hold in memory and scene description) the entire object as many times as there are local "sub-object" attibutes? (like Maya?)

Which defeats the purpose of using merged objects as optimization method
(despite Maya having a --not that much of an-- easier time dealing with large object counts)

Because apart how soft can handle many-many polys at a time, (especially so today comparatively)
you can very easily treat sub-objects (clusters) as just regular objects
assinging properties like materials, visibility, ... selecting, transforming and sorting them in groups,
therefore quite a bit further amplifying that maximum reach in scene complexity while remaining humanly manage-ably workable.
(benefit also very much applicable for non-insanely-complex scenes)