You will certainly use them a lot as you will have surely many streams of data
(a bit like if you had in one single object multiple parallel operator stacks
that you can blend/merge/dispose/etc…

My take is to try to do things at object level due to easiness with for example
transformations, material assignment, scene optimisation and LOD.

For example, every component of a wheel of a car I separate and make objects
and have a hierarchy, this allows me to do very quick low resolution objects
out of big ones. Transformations are much faster and ultimately I can do clever
camera based hiding and what not.

Also given I use bundles a lot having objects is very convenient as I can do
text searches that bring the objects to the bundles so it is a major win after
a bit of a slow prep time of course.

So I would say my best friend is “object merge” operator rather than merge.

;-)

hope it helps
jb