What I suggest you do is a ingest > process workflow.

1 - Ingest - Use the object load to spit your objects onto the parts you want,
make sure you put some nicely name nulls (these will be your hooks) and if you
are very tidy add a red material in your object level. Also this is the point
in which you repair broken models, add normals at vertex level instead of point
level, remove things you don’t point wise, etc… but don’t add just yet the
attributes that are specific to the task at hand, simply the basics.

2 - Process - Then create in object level as many OBJ as you need and read the
hooks you created from inside, adding the materials at object level here!!!
this should override the red color and thus you have a visual clue of what has
been updated or is left to do (if you see a red object chances are you forgot
to add a material  ;-)  Here is where you add your own attributes and given
Bgeo can store them it is the perfect conduit to have you master version of the
model (on steroids)

If you are preparing an asset (let’s say a car) you may want to optimise this
workflow and simply cache out (freeze your data) onto the disk for rigging and
what not with all the atrributes cleaned and ready for final usage.

hope it helps
jb