GATOR might use that for the sampling, but I don't think those rely on
GATOR itself, or even if they did it'd be more of a logistical thing than
anything to do with what makes GATOR as good as it is (maybe there's an
acceleration structure or some sampling methods that under the hood were
implemented as part of GATOR and then used to service other parts of the
SDK).

Soft has a vastly superior, to ANYTHING out there, notion and handling of
properties on meshes in general, even if, algorithmically speaking, Maya
was to get all the maths across tomorrow, it still wouldn't be a fraction
as powerful as the app in general, right now, is utterly lacking in
abstractions and representations of mesh data and using them for
deformation.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!